Photo credit: Ben Deverman
Articles about Jorge:
This is the home page of Jorge Cham.
Jorge is the creator of "PHD Comics", the popular ongoing comic strip about life (or the lack thereof) in Academia. He is the co-author of the Der Spiegel best-selling book We Have No Idea, and the co-host of the How Stuff Works podcast Daniel and Jorge Explain the Universe. He is also the co-founder of PHDtv, a video science and discovery outreach collaborative, and a founding board member of Endeavor College Prep, a non-profit school for kids in East L.A. He earned his Ph.D. in Robotics from Stanford University and was an Instructor and Research Associate at Caltech from 2003-2005. He is originally from Panama.
To read his comic strip, click here
To learn about the research he used to do, click here
Read his profile in Science Magazine, The New York Times, Wired Magazine or the Times Higher Education.
To book Jorge for a lecture, click here.
Watch Jorge's TEDx Talk about The Science Gap:
More information about Jorge:
- Jorge earned his Bachelor's of Science from Georgia Tech.
- In 2009, he was awarded the 2009 NSF/AAAS International Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge First Place in Informational Graphics with his collaborator Dwayne Godwin, a professor of Neuroscience at Wake Forest University. Their comics about the brain have appeared in Scientific American Mind since 2010.
- In 2011, PHD Comics was adapted into a feature-length film called "The PHD Movie", which screened at over 500 locations worldwide, including all 7 continents. A sequel titled, "The PHD Movie 2: Still in Grad School" was produced in 2015.
- To date, he has delivered over 300 invited lectures internationally on his experiences in academia and being an independent artist and science communicator.
- The PHD Comics website has been visited by over 60 million visitors in the last 10 years.
- Six book collections of his comics have been published (available in stores and online). "We Have No Idea," his book co-written with physicist Daniel Whiteson was published May 2017 by Riverhead Books/Penguin Random House and was a Der Spiegel Best-Seller.
- His animated explanations of the Higgs Boson and Gravitational Waves went viral and have been viewed millions times.
- He was the subject of a question in a British Quiz Show.
- He lives near Los Angeles, CA with his family.
- He was named one of Los Angeles' most interesting people of 2013.
Contact information: jorgephdcomics.com